Sunday, January 24, 2010

Shopping!

Sorry for not updating my blog for the past couple weeks, but nothing very interesting has happened.  I have been working a lot and just relaxing on the weekends.  Although, I have definitely not been working nearly as much as I used to during this time in US.  It still surprises me how different the hours are here compared to the US.  It is certainly a cultural difference.  One of my colleagues explained to me that there is even a rule that we cannot charge more than 50 hours per week.  It is strange to think that in the US at this time, we were required to charge at least 55 hour per week, and generally worked more than this some weeks.  And, to not have to work a single Saturday yet, this has been great.

Yesterday (Saturday), I ventured out to do some shopping.  Well, I think I hit the jackpot!  I discovered a mall (just like in the US) just 4 blocks from my apartment!  There are 3 levels in the mall, with lots of clothing and shoes stores (including H&M which is way better here than in the US), Media Markt (similar to Best Buy), and even a food court.  I ate Chinese food for lunch, a first for me in Germany!  Then, I went across the street to Real which I had heard of, but wanted to check out.  I thought it was just a grocery store, but no, it is much more!  First, it's the largest grocery store I have ever seen in Europe.  And, it's probably the closest thing to a Super WalMart here.  The first level was a huge grocery store, and then on the second level, there were clothes, cleaning supplies, kitchen equipment, toiletries, and other random things.  There was a section for costumes for Karneval, and it reminded me of Halloween time in the US. So, now I know where I can find a Karneval costume.  Also, in the toiletries section, they even had a section of travel size items, which my sister and I LOVE, so this made me very happy.  After the mall and Real, I went to Kaufhof, which is a department store (but not in the mall like US department stores).  It was just like a department store in the US, too!  I found a section with Dusseldorf souvenirs, so I know where to buy presents and also keepsakes to take home with me.  Kaufhof also had a large section of costumes for Karneval, too.  It was so great to find these stores, because now I won't worry about where to buy some of the staples and other items that I am looking for.  Also, I did not expect to find stores that are similar to the large stores in the US.  It was definitely a nice surprise.

Another funny story - At the grocery store yesterday, I bought a bottle of wine.  The cashier asked me for ID, which I have been asked for a few times here in Germany, so I wasn't surprised and could figure out what he was asking me (in German).  I didn't have any ID on me at the time, because I had turned in my US drivers license to get a German drivers license, and I generally don't carry my passport with me unless I am traveling.  So, I couldn't buy the wine.  But, the funny part is that the legal drinking age here is 18!  Apparently, I barely look like I am 18, and I just turned 27 last month.  One of these days, I really will be thankful for looking young.  The reason I had to give up my American driver’s license was so that it can be translated into German, and then I can take it in and exchange it for a German driver’s license. The translation takes about 10 days, and my relocation agent and I are going on Monday morning to get my German driver’s license. Then, I won’t have this problem anymore.

A few other funny things recently:
 - In talking with my colleagues at work, when they were traveling abroad, they said they really missed sparkling water.  I think sparkling water is disgusting, so I thought that was funny.
 - One of my co-workers says the F word a lot at work, which always makes me laugh.  I guess swearing in English isn't such a big deal to them.
 - My colleagues think the way I pronounce names with my American accent is very funny, or "cool" as one guy puts it.

The Dusseldorf Marathon is on May 2, and PwC sponsors its employees to run individually or as a relay team.  The past few years, my work team has done the relay, so this year, I am going to be on our marathon relay team.  The team consists of 4 people, and each person runs a portion of the marathon.  Somehow, I ended up picking the longest portion of 12km or about 7.5 miles (they are not all the same distance).  I'm excited for the race, and since I have been running a lot lately, the distance should be no problem for me.  I just want to work on my speed between now and race day so I'm not too slow.  PwC also has a big tent at the finish of the marathon, with food and drinks.  It should be a fun event. 

One last thing before I sign off – Congratulations to the Neumanns on the arrival of their new baby boy, Jack. He was born in Cologne on Thursday morning, January 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment