Then, after work on Thursday, my team and the Corprate team went out to a bar to celebrate. Everyone dresses up in crazy costumes for the entire weekend.
Simone and I ready to go out after work on Thursday.
We took a shot of Killepitsch before heading out. (Members of my team: Simone, me, Andrej, and Marcel)
Out on Thursday with co-workers (Thomas, me, Simone, and Christophe - our senior manager)
Chloe and Fletcher on the train (he's dressed as Hulk Hogan)
The guys drinking Killepitsch on the train
The brewery had 3 levels and was very crowded, but very fun. They played great music, and the beer was cheap!
Proof that beer is cheaper than water and Coke!
Met some random guys who also used to live in Chicago! They all live in London now and their other friend lives in Dusseldorf, so they came to party for Karneval.
This is Connie dressed as a "man-eater". She got up at 6am to do her hair and makeup!
Fun costumes (me, Anne and Thomas)
Chloe and me in our cute dirndls
Chad and Kelly were pirates, and Will was their parrot
Kelly's parents and their friend, Laura, were visiting from Iowa, too
This is just the atrium entrance to the Maritime Hotel where the Costume Ball was held. There were 4 ballrooms each with different music/bands, and thousands of people attended.
This is a picture of me with a man dressed in the traditional Cologne Karneval costume
I had the day off from work for Rosenmontag (Whit Monday). It is quite funny, but great, to actually get the day off for a holiday during "busy season". The parade was on Monday. Apparently, the Cologne parade is much "better", but I was told the crowds are large. So, Chloe and I went to the parade in Dusseldorf, which I thought was quite good. However, having a parade in the middle of winter is not my idea of fun. It was so cold, and the parade was 2.5 hours long! The floats are really nice, though, and you can tell that each group puts a lot of time and effort into them. The traditional costumes that are worn are really cool, too. I took a lot of pictures during the parade, so you can see those on my Picasa site (the link is at the top right). Some floats have political messages, too. Here is one that pokes fun at Obama:
It says "Obama the Redeemer"
One of the floats - people in great matching costumes ride on top and throw tons of candy and other random things (like packs of tissues, rubber ducks, chips)
I had so much fun during Karneval this year, and now I know what to expect next year. I will have to start planning my costumes for next year now. Yes, I said costumes. I am thinking that I need a different costume for each day of the weekend!
Finally, I just wanted to share what I learned during Karneval:
You must always have 2 beers in your hands during Karneval
No comments:
Post a Comment