Sunday, April 11, 2010

Post script on Nice and other misc items

First, as a post script to my blog entry about Nice... I saw some colorful flowers planted in a park in Dusseldorf today.  And, the sun was out on Satuday, making it a beautiful day.  I had a great run along the Rhine River and all the riverside cafes/bars are opening up again.  So maybe the flowers and sun just took a little bit longer to get to Dusseldorf since it's further north.  I hear that summer is really quite nice here, and I am definitely looking forward to it. 

I'm catching up on episodes of The Amazing Race right now and the teams were just in Hamburg. Their tasks were to eat sauerkraut, play soccer, and drink a boot of beer.  It makes me wonder if this is really typical Germany or just the American view of Germany??? 

I saw the new Alice in Wonderland movie today.  It was decent, a little strange, but what can you expect from a Tim Burton film.  There is one cinema in town that shows movies in English (aka "Original Version").  This is now the third movie I have seen in the theater since I've moved here (I also saw Avatar and Up in the Air).  Actually, I think I have seen more movies in the theater in the past 5 months than I did in the past 2 years that I lived in America.  Sometimes, it is nice to have 2 full hours where you forget that you live in a country where English is not the native language.  Cinemas are mostly the same as in America, except you have an assigned seat (you get to pick when you buy your ticket) and you can buy beer at the cinema.  Also, most of the previews before the movie are in German, even if they are American movies.  I always get paranoid that I have walked into the wrong theater and the movie will start and be in German.  Luckily, that has not happened yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment